93 percent of adolescents suffer from acne after an Infratest puberty survey. The Positive: Acne can be well controlled or cured today. However, the success of acne treatment largely depends on how motivated the individual is. Acne is more common in male than female teens. Why? In puberty, male sex hormones are increasingly being formed - in boys, but also in girls. The male hormones cause excessive sebum production and faster growth of horny cells in the sebaceous glands of the skin.
What is acne?
To treat acne, one should first understand what acne is. Acne (acne vulgaris) is a disease of the sebaceous glands. Each sebaceous gland has a duct that opens at the skin surface and through which the sebum can drain. Horn-forming cells - so-called corneocytes - also sit in the upper part of the duct. Increased production of sebaceous glands, coupled with a keratinization disorder, can clog the sebaceous glands during hormonal changes, resulting in the unloved blackheads (comedones). In a further step, the accumulated sebaceous gland secretion - which forms an ideal breeding ground for bacteria - can lead to inflammation of the sebaceous glands. Then inflammatory reddened nodules (pimples) or large reddened, painful nodes (pustules). The motor of the inflammations are essentially propionic and staphylococcal bacteria.
Prevent pimples and blackheads
One differentiates between open blackheads (Blackhead), closed blackheads (Whitehead) as well as acne spots (inflamed blackheads). In addition, one separates between the light, superficial acne and the heavier, deep acne with deep under the skin lying inflamed nodes (acne conglobata). Acne conglobata is usually no longer treatable by topically applied agents. The deep acne often causes scarring, while the superficial acne only by incorrect treatment z. B. "squeezing" leads to acne scars. Very often, acne occurs during puberty, but there are also acne patients who are 25 or 30 years old. Affected areas of the skin are mainly the face, chest, back or shoulders, as there are very many sebaceous glands in these places.
Triggers and causes of acne
- Predisposition to acne, which will pass from father and mother to the children.
- Hormone conversion especially during puberty, sometimes during the period or pregnancy.
- High-fat cosmetics that irritate the skin to form blackheads.
- Certain medicines like cortisone (steroid acne).
- Long-lasting use of cosmetics, sunscreens or environmental toxins such. B. Chemicals (Chloracne).
There is no anti-acne diet
It used to be thought that the development of acne was wrong. Controlled studies have now refuted this opinion. However, if the acne worsens after eating certain foods, you should refrain in the future.
Acne treatment and skin care
- Use special acne cosmetics. Skin cleansing and care with products especially for acne prone skin is an essential step.
- Very important: do not press around on the skin, as this only aggravates the inflammation and also can cause unsightly scars. Pathogens can also spread more easily in damaged skin.
- Wash the skin at least once a day with the appropriate products.
- Blackheads can be macerated with hot water compresses and then gently opened with a comedone squeegee.
- Application of antimicrobial cream or gel z. B. with benzoyl peroxide. The active ingredient acts against the bacteria that are responsible for the development of acne.
- For inflamed skin, soothing compresses or masks help with chamomile or healing earth.
Regular treatment with effective agents alleviates the severity of the disease and prevents the formation of permanent scars. Just acne does not go by overnight, but - anyone who treats their acne on a regular basis will succeed in the end!
When should you go to the doctor?
If the acne is very severe, if there is severe inflammation and suppuration, or if there is no improvement after treatment, a doctor should always be consulted. The doctor can with antibiotics such. For example, erythromycin, clindamycin, tetracycline or doxycycline, azelaic acid, retinoids or drug combinations can also treat severe acne well.